Veterans – Half Price Hunting & Fishing Licenses
- Half price licenses are hunting, fishing and sportsmen's combination hunting and fishing
- Deer and turkey permits are not included in this program
- Eligibility requirements are as follows:
- Must be an Illinois resident veteran age 64 or less.
- Must have served abroad (foreign or sea service) or been a reservist activated under USC Title 10 or Title 32.
- Provide a copy of DD214 or official document from the Department of Defense (Letter from Illinois Department of Military Affairs (Guard), Regional Reserve Command (Armed Forces Reserve), or major command. Orders are not acceptable.)
- Appear in person to one of the DNR offices: Springfield, Clinton, Benton or Alton or fax 217-782-5016 or email DNR.License@illinois.gov proof of eligibility (DD214 or letter from military command)
Disabled Veterans Outdoor Opportunities
Please refer to the Illinois DNR's for information on the below opportunities.
- All disabled veterans, resident or non-resident (10% service-connected) or any person with a Class 2O (previously a P2) or a Class 2A card is exempt from a fishing license. This Class 2O or Class 2A card only applies to IL residents.
- All disabled veterans, resident or non-resident (10% service-connected) or any person with a Class 2O (previously a P2) or a Class 2A card is exempt from a hunting license. This Class 2O or Class 2A card only applies to IL residents. Also, resident or non-resident disabled veterans are exempt from a habitat stamp.
Information on Hunting / Fishing Exemptions
- If you are a Veteran you are exempt from a hunting and fishing license (see above). You are also exempt from purchasing a Habitat stamp. To be exempt you must be able to show proof of disability with a Veteran's disability card (at least 10% service connected). This card is available at your local Veteran's Affairs office.
- If you are disabled and possess a Class P2O (previously a P2) or a Class P2A card, you are exempt from a hunting license. Class 2O and 2A will exempt you from a fishing license. You are NOT exempt from a Habitat stamp. You can pick up a P2O or P2A application at your nearest Secretary of State's office. You will still have to apply and pay for your permits.
Active Duty Military
- Active Duty Military personnel from any state are treated as residents when they come to Illinois to hunt while on leave. They can purchase resident licenses, stamps and permits but must show proof of their active duty status by presenting their military ID.
Military License Plates
Please refer to the Illinois Secretary of State's website in the button below for information on Military license plates.
PICK A PLATE
In recognition of those who have served our country, the Secretary of State offers several military service license plates. Military plates may be displayed on passenger vehicles and trucks and vans weighing 8,000 pounds or less. Titles, transfers, duplicate registration cards and replacement license plates are subject to standard fees.
Documentation verifying military status or receipt of medal is required for most military plates. Documentation may include DD Form 214, DD Form 2, separation papers, Veterans Administration award letter or other military documents verifying service record. All military plate applications will be verified with the Department of Veterans' Affairs before plates are issued. Military plate categories available are:
- Afghanistan Campaign Medal
- Air Force Service Cross
- Armed Forces Reserves
- Disabled Veteran
- Ex-Prisoner of War
- Gold Star
- Illinois National Guard
- Iraq Campaign Medal
- Korean Service
- Korean War Veteran
- Marine Corps
- Navy Service Cross
- Pearl Harbor Survivor
- POW/MIA Illinois Remembers
- U.S. Army Veteran
- U.S. Air Force
- U.S. Navy Veteran
- Distinguished Flying Cross
- Bronze Star
- Congressional Medal of Honor
- Purple Heart
- Purple Heart Motorcycle
- Retired Armed Forces
- Distinguished Service Cross
- Silver Star
- Universal Veteran
- Universal Veteran Motorcycle
- Vietnam Veteran
- West Point Bicentennial
- Women Veterans
- World War II Veteran